Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Doctrine of Election

This is part of the class that I'm taking right now. There are so many different thoughts about the doctrine of election. But let me try to summarize as best I can. 

Unconditional election - God chooses who will be saved based on His sovereign choice.

Conditional election - God chooses who will be saved based on His foreknowledge of our choice.

Unconditional double election - Not only does God choose who will be saved, but He also chooses who will not be saved.

However, the best reasons I can think of to believe in the doctrine of election as a whole is found in this quote from our text. It is a quote from C.H. Spurgeon, who I don't usually agree with. But this is pretty good.

"I believe the doctrine of election, because I am quite certain that if God had not chosen me I should never have chosen Him; and I am sure He chose me before I was born, or else He never would have chosen me afterwards; and He must have elected me for reasons unknown to me, for I never could find any reason in myself why He should have looked upon me with special love. So I am forced to accept that doctrine."

No matter what version of election you believe in, Spurgeon has it down. If God hadn't chosen me, and given me the grace to believe in Him, I am positive that I wouldn't be where I am today. Thank you, Lord, for the grace You have given us to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment